Monday, December 20, 2010

Bittersweet Goodbyes

Finally! after unexpected computer trouble followed by a week and a half of writing papers I can publish a new post!

I'm home, back in beautiful, wonderful, amazing Charleston! I left Glasgow on Saturday, and it was much harder than I was expecting. Everyone that I've gotten to know over the last few months seem like friends that I've had forever and saying goodbye to them was extremely upsetting. There were heartfelt discussions, gossip sessions, trips, and fun nights out that won't be forgotten anytime soon. I've said quite a few times how much I loved the city of Glasgow, and that hasn't changed in the least. The more time I spent in the city, the more I loved it and wanted to stay. Even through injuries, sickness, and boy drama, it is still somewhere that I could imagine myself living at some point in the future. Since September I've changed so much as a person and it's all due to Glasgow and the people that I met there. Hopefully everyone will be able to keep in touch as we all head home, I know Elizabeth and I are supposed to be visiting China and India at some point in the future now : ) We're also going to make it back to Glasgow, sooner rather than later hopefully.
That being said, I am so happy to be home. It's hard to realize just how much you miss your family and home until you are put into a position where you literally cannot just get in the car and go see them. Also, the comfort of familiarity is something that I know I needed after four months in a completely new place...and the trip back was much to hectic to be going anywhere other than home. After being home for just a day I've been fully reminded of how important my family is to me and how nice it is to be able to see them and hug them. Skyping is nice, but you can't really hug a computer screen (well, you can, but it's a little awkward).
But I can already tell that I'm going to be itching to travel again pretty soon, and hopefully I'll be able to do that...I'll let you know.